Monday, January 3, 2011

2010




Happy New Year!

We like to celebrate with a good mix of spontaneity and favorite rituals. We talk about our year in review and look at photos. We did all that??!!! Wow! Remember Quillan's wish for a rainbow birthday cake and a surprise party? I almost forgot about that giant mess we made blowing up the old concrete pathway! Oh yea and we hiked there more than once last year. Cool.

We read our resolutions from last year and enjoy knowing what was important a year ago as much as seeing how much we have changed (or not). We have a ritual of trying something new: tangelo! Making noise: fireworks! Dancing and staying up late and NOT watching Dick Clark until the last three minutes. Tv? No, this is life! The kids are 8 and 10 this year and stayed up, albeit in a silly state, until almost 1am. Party animals.

We always take a hike (hee) or spend time in nature in some way on the first day of the year. It's been cold but gloriously sunny here in Oregon, making it delectable to get out.



And after all the playfulness and welcoming in the new year with joy, I tend to be somewhat introspective over the next few days. That's what I'm doing now. I'm looking at my business over the last year, which will lead to making plans for the new year. That's looking at myself too because my business is me. (Is it?) I make what I'm passionate about, what I'm guided by my inner hot air balloon (yow!) to create and put out into the world.

What do I feel proud about last year?
What do I feel disappointed about?
What did I learn?
What do I want to have/do/create/learn more of?




Some of the important bits:
I traveled more last year than many years combined. And I loved it. I have opened a space in my heart for including more of that in the next year.

I my projects were published in a third book and a magazine, and several blogs last year, and I very much enjoy and appreciate being able to put what's in my heart and mind out in to the world, to have my projects and things I make with joy, put in a book with other's beautiful things, to inspire others. I have time and space for this in the coming year.

My business donated money to causes I care about. That feels so good to transform creative energy into much needed cash to help others in need.


Spring salads rocked, but both summer garden and fall garden were failures. Much of this was the cool wet summer we had, and some new invasive creatures. Maybe more work and knowledge on my part would have created a better outcome. I canned very little. There will be great problem solving in the spring.


My mind was blown by the beauty of our time spent in Kauai. Pele cast her spell on all of us immediately. We loved the experience of practically living outside for two weeks because, well, why go inside? The ocean called, the rain forest welcomed, the fish waved, the beach sand invited, the trees begged to be climbed, the local food called to us. It was magic. More magic this year? I say yes.



I'm proud of myself for putting my work out in the world, and grateful for all the sweet people who connected with me, bought my things, supported me in some way, and who gave great feedback. I feel lucky to have artist friends sharing their unique skills with the rest of us.

I'm proud of being a good mother and partner. I'm proud of creating a life that I'm excited to wake up to, that keeps me growing, that creates abundance on many levels, that has time to walk the dog and pick up the kids from school every day, and volunteer in their classrooms. I will keep growing and being the best person I can be.




My father passed away unexpectedly in November. He was only 60. I am thankful for the week we had together, and for being so grounded in love and support from home. The processing, follow up, and lessons will take some time to integrate.

Here I am in this life I've created. I'm as clear eyed, honest, open-hearted, and grounded as I can be.







2011

I'm writing myself some notes. I'll keep them near by to remind me. Some of the notes go like this.....

I want to be a better friend this year, and act on my impulses to connect right away.
I will walk lightly and often.
Spring: Continuing the process of clearing away unneeded clutter in the house = less time spent cleaning and more time to play outside.
Summer: Have more fun in the summer with friends instead of being so focused on house/yard projects. Ask for help more. Gather and glow together more often.
Fall: take a trip before holiday season arrives.
Be the person I would admire and envy.
Build on all the important heart lessons I received last year.
Keep reading good books and sharing them with good people.
Sometimes, I struggle with all the ways I want to grow, do more, become more as an artist, a person, and a businessperson. I want to be patient and grounded with myself, work hard while enjoying every minute.

Thank you 2010, welcome in 2011. Year of the bunny.

No comments: